4.19.2017

My Dad

This has not been an easy start of the year for me and my family.  My father passed away the end of January, unexpectedly.  We are all still trying to come to terms with his death and the sudden turn around when he was supposed to make a full recovery from his surgery.  A lot of questions not being able to be answered, frustration, grief stricken beyond recognition.  It just doesn't make any sense still.  All I can do is take one day at a time.  I have good days and I have bad days. 

We had a large family birthday/remembrance dinner in March and had cards made for the tables.  It was really great evening as the focus was on celebrating his life and achievements as well as spending time as family together.  Below are excerpts from the inside.
 
 
He collected writing pens, good watches and bassets.  He could never have enough gloves, pen refills, hats and t-shirts with irreverent sayings, tin foil, coffee, cans of beans to make his chili, chocolate crème rolls, milk, oatmeal cookies to give as “treats” to the bassets, Chicken Rice A Roni with canned chicken to make his famous “Joe Keenan rice” which has become a Keenan staple, flour to make his Saturday biscuits and Manischewitz blackberry wine to have a swig of before he went to bed.

His famous one liners:
“You have got to be out of your rabbit ass mind.”
“Never trust a fart.”
“The movie Orlando is the worst thing I have E-V-E-R seen in my life.”
“Bassets evolved from seals-it’s true.”
“Suck-a-hotchi”
“I am going to Sam’s Club while you’re gone”
“I just gave you money, get out of my wallet”
“Between me and my brother we know everything”
“Freddie Fender is the best singer”
 
He was color blind, he was a semi-pro tennis player, spoke Spanish poorly but understood German, was an avid writer, loved to listen to music of all genres, preferred pie for dessert, but mostly, he was one of the best human beings you would have ever run across.  He wasn’t the President of the United States, he didn’t cure cancer-he was just Joe.  This world is a better place because of him and EVERYONE is a better person for having known him.  He will forever be missed and remembered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment