10.19.2012

Use the Soup Spoon - Savory Cabbage Soup











Came across this delightful, savory-spicy cabbage soup.  Wanted something, hot, soothing and fast as I had a meeting to go to.  When I got home, this was sooooo good and warmed me from head to toe. 

A couple of days later, my sinus infection was in high gear, nothing sounded good to eat for breakfast, still sick and not really that hungry, heated it up, it was the perfect thing I needed for breakfast along with my hot lemon ginger tea, I felt almost cured :)

I will freeze the rest and haul it to OSU for the student that studies bones for a living.



Cabbage Soup - Sopa de Repollo - Bohnenkraut Kohlsuppe
The recipe is from the Kosher by Design Lightens Up by Susie Fishbein, I modified it a touch.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
3 gloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to your liking)
7 cups beef stock
1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
3 1/2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
28 oz can of diced tomatoes
Soup cream to garnish

Heat the oil in large pot over medium heat.  Add the oil and onion, cook until onion is light brown, add the garlic and tomato paste and red pepper flakes, combine.

Pour in stock, add basil, oregano, black pepper and sugar, stir, raise the heat and bring to a boil, lower heat, stir in cabbage, simmer until the cabbage wilts, stir frequently, simmer for 30 minutes. 

I had some left over French bread that I sliced, buttered, coated in shredded Parmesan cheese and browned in oven. I served them with the soup, it was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment