10.25.2012

Use the Soup Spoon - Black Bean Soup





I cannot tell you how good this turned out.  The simple, unassuming black bean, is just so velvety.  It was a sunny and blustery day yesterday that I think when the leaves fell they spelt out "black bean soup," so in a way I was instructed to make this lovely black inky creation.  It can be served on its own or with just about any condiment that you are hankering for.  I did corn bread and basmati rice.


While I was "simmering" I decided to go through my 70 jars of spices. I do this every year in the fall, to assess what spices need to be refilled or replaced as I am putting together my recipes for baked goods and menus for later in the year and I hate to make a last minute run for "a spice" that I ran out of. 



Black Bean Soup with Cumin, Chiles and Lime
Adapted from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen by Jack Bishop but I tweaked it a little.

3 tablespoons canola oil
2 medium onions, chopped
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 large jalapeno, seeded, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 12 oz bottle of beer (I used Sam Adams)
8-9 cups of water
1 lbs of dried black beans or canned if you prefer
2 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
Salt to taste
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat, add onions, cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and jalapeno and cook, about 1 minute.

Add the chili powder, cumin, cook about 1 minute.  Pour the beer and 6 cups of water in the pot and then add the beans, bring to a boil and then a medium simmer for about 5 minutes, until the alcohol aroma fades.  Keep heat to a high simmer, and cook beans from 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  IMPORTANT, during the course of the two hours, be sure to check every 15 minutes or so, to stir and to add more water when needed.  (If using canned beans, it will not take as long as the beans.)  When the beans are tender and the soup has thickened, removed 2 cups and puree, return back to pot.  At this time add the lime juice and salt to taste as well as adjust the cumin and chili powder.  Garnish with the cilantro.

Serve with sour cream, white rice, corn bread, tortillas, corn chips, cheddar cheese, green chiles, what ever combination works for you.

Geschmack fabelhafte - Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment