9.17.2012

Use the Soup Spoon - Black and White Chicken Chili




Sunday was such a slow day, I wasn't too inspired and the weather didn't help as well, it acted like it wanted to rain but it didn't, the thought of rain just "lingered" and kept everyone guessing. 


I was fumbling through the cupboards to see what would jump out at me, it felt like a soup day, so soup it was.  I came across a package of McCormick's White Chicken Chili seasoning, and was perplexed as to how that got in there.  I looked at it and thought, "hum" let me see what I could do with this.  I just kind of played around and this is what I got.  I used ground chicken, but any leftover chicken, poached chicken, roasted chicken, just about any poultry this would be great for. 





I served it with a dollop of sour cream and cheddar cheese and some crusty bread.  I used the bread recipe that I have posted here and it was soooo good, I know you will love it, it was perfect for a "pretend" rain day.



Black and White Chicken Chili
Serves 6-8
 
3 tbsp of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed whole
1 medium, peeled and small diced onion
1 lbs chicken, ground, canned, leftover, what ever works for you, cut into small bites size pieces
1 package of McCormick’s White Chicken Chili Mix
1 can (approx 15 oz) of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (approx 15 oz) of navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (approx 15 oz) of diced tomatoes, including liquid
1 small can (approx 3 oz) of mild green chilies
1 teaspoon of red chili flakes (optional)
5 cups of water, to start off with
Add salt and pepper to liking at end
 
In a large pot, sauté onions in the olive oil until translucent, add all the other ingredients, heat to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Determine the thickness of the chili that you would like, add more water if it is too thick.
 
Then serve piping hot in bowls, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, a large dollop of sour cream and hot sauce.
 
Other options could be black olives, sliced jalapeño chilies, tortilla chips, fresh crusty bread, endless possibilities.

Freezes great for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment