8.28.2010

Summer Bucket List



clothesline from silentgoddess on flickr

Summer is coming to a close in the next couple of weeks and I got thinking back to all of the things that I have accomplished compared to the list of things that didn't get done.  Not to use a bunch of excuses, but, there are many things that needed to be done on this old house, as we are rehabbing it, and many items needed to be done outside.  Unfortunately, the weather here in the Midwest was just too dang hot to get started much less to finish a lengthy project.  We have been working on the house for the past 2 1/2 years and this was by far the hottest summer that we have had in years past and we are no spring chickens anymore. 

However, I did manage to get one of my dream items done was to have a lengthy clothes line built.  I have been mocked and cheered for years for drying my clothes outside during the summer or when it is just plain hot.  I think there is a universal appeal for how clothes feel and smell when they are sun dried and it just can't be replicated in the old electric/gas dryers I don't care what anyone says.

So, clothes lines, can be marked off the list.  My other things to do this summer were:

Get a good "summer" book to read
Pick blackberries to make jams/jellies
New screen door for the kitchen door
Tires for the car
Replacement windows for the living room
Avoid major illness or accident
Plant miniature lilacs along entrance walk

Well 3 out of 3 isn't so back I reckon.  The last one only counts some what.  Last year I came down with pneumonia and was coughing so much that I cracked 5 ribs.  This summer, I swore I would not get sick again.  Until, I helped my elderly neighbor across the street clear some brush from around her house.  I came into contact with some poison ivy, which turns out that I am severely allergic to.  I had the worse 4th of July-EVER.  Consequently, the side effects of blisters pretty much kept me out of commission for the next 4 weeks and was going no where near a prickly black berry patch, that will have to be next year for the picking and the other three will be put back to the fall.  So it wasn't a total loss-yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment